ellyhelcl

Elly Helcl

The Bite  - Angela Horn I picked up this book because I am in a group on Goodreads with the author, I heard she was an author, decided to check out her stuff, and was interested in the book.

First off, let me clarify something. I am a die hard zombie fan. Period. I. Love. Zombies. So, this book was right up my alley =)

I liked that Sam was just your average teen struggling with very normal teenage issues. I enjoyed the fact that the author didn't try to write her as a perfect character. Right away in the book she makes, what should have been fatal, an error that costs her. Not too much further along, she is desperate enough for food that she is willing to give her virginity to a stranger for food...that is called, realism.

Personally, I loved Sam as a character from the word go. She was very human and made incredibly normal human errors. All the while, she struggled to stay alive in a world gone mad.

So, why the four star rating instead of five if I loved this book so much? The story starts with Sam being bitten. There is no back story to tell us how this zombie apocalypse came about, no real reasoning on how she got to where she was. One of my favorite parts of zombie stories is reading about hot the characters reacted as they tried to figure out what the heck was going on. It isn't everyday that someone feasts on another person in the streets. The author completely skipped that part, much to my disappointment.

Anyone looking for a fun zombie novel should check this one out! Just don't be surprised when there isn't a whole ton of horror and gore. This is really a nice YA zombie novel, one that I could let my thirteen year old read. Sigh...but I have to wonder, is there a book two of the bite in the making? If so, I WILL be buying it.